Sunday, September 12, 2010

Baby Obsessed




--the picture with this post is my first official baby bump photo. 18 weeks and counting. That is one big belly but as Ben says, a good 8 oz of that is baby. The rest is the 3 bowls of apple squash soup and 2 vegan rice krispy treats I had for dinner.

I am, as indicated by the post title, baby obsessed. More specifically obsessed with MY baby not just babies in general. I think about the baby all the time. I kept this to myself for a while and finally broke down and told Ben last week. I hadn't mentioned it to anyone and it was driving me crazy. I was worried that my obsession might not be normal.
The all consuming baby thoughts make it nearly impossible to focus at work. I'd find myself zoned out at work; staring at the wall, glazed over eyes. If this happened at my desk but not the end of the world. Then it started happening in meetings. Meetings I really should be paying attention in.
One moment I'm running a presentation and the next minute I'm in baby land. Glazed over. My train of thought something like this:
Did I just feel the baby? No, it was probably gas. It didn't feel like gas though. It must have been the baby. Oh my god! I think I just felt the baby. There it is again! Oh, that's definitely gas. No, definitely baby. No, gas. No, baby. I should call someone and ask. But who? This isn't really important enough to bug the midwife with. Gas or baby? Maybe I can find something in one of books.
"Erin, Erin" my co-worker is nudging me in the side. "Can we go back one slide, please?"
Oops. No idea how long people have been trying to get my attention while I agonized over baby or gas bubbles.
Or there was the meeting a few weeks ago, equally as bad if not worse.
The one sided conversation I was having in my mind then: I feel really good this week. I wonder if anyone will ask me how I'm feeling. I wish someone would ask. That would give me an excuse to talk about the baby without just throwing it into a conversation at random. I wonder if I've been annoying people with how much I talk about the baby?
Someone breaks into my thoughts "Erin, what do you think? Will that work for you?"
Me, mouth opening and closing like a fish, making no sound but still thinking "He's asking about the baby, right?"
Must focus on work.
I've been reading a lot of pregnancy books, they all talk about the best way to present your pregnancy to your office, especially if you plan on being a working mom. Which I do. So, the books say to make sure to stay focused and work even more efficiently than normal. This is especially hard in an office that is 95% male. While I love my work family, sensitivity isn't really their thing. As evidenced by the fact that when a co-worker found out I was pregnant he said "Oh good. I figured it was either that or you had really let yourself go." Kicking him in the shin was my gut reaction. I pulled it together just in time. There would have been witnesses and I really don't want to get fired. He was lucky to walk away from that one unscathed.
My question is: How does any first time mom accomplish this? Is it just me or are all moms to be as obsessed with their babies as I am?

1 comment:

  1. I can't stop looking at two things:
    Your baby bump.
    And the smile on your face.

    Both are equally consuming my attention. And if it's any consolation, I think about you're baby all the time. I may have even called it 'our baby' at one point. So I'm really sorry if that's creepy.

    Love you both!
    Cupcake

    ReplyDelete