Saturday, September 11, 2010

We're pregnant...and happy?

As anyone reading this blog likely knows, we're pregnant! We found we were expecting exactly one day after our first wedding anniversary on June 14th. If only I'd been paying attention I could have given Ben the exciting news on our wedding anniversary but, I wasn't. Paying attention that is.
The news came with great excitement and anticipation. I've never been a sickly person, I don't often get sick and when I do I tend to power through. Honestly, I find sick people incredibly irritating. Obviously I mean people with general aches and pains, colds and the flu. Not the truly ill. I just could never wrap my head around the idea of lying around and whining when not feeling well. So you have a cold? Get up and move around, trust me it will help. Lying around doesn't make ME feel any better when I'm sick so I can't fathom why anyone else would behave that way. That's not to say that I don't get the occasional flu that knocks me off my feet for a week. I do, but only every couple of years or so.
So, that said I thought pregnancy would be a breeze. I wasn't going to be sick or achy. I was going to keep my same routine, running, working, cooking, sewing without breaking stride. I was going to be a superhero pregnant lady. Things didn't quite turn out how I thought...
Let's just say my running shoes haven't seen any action since a half marathon at 7 weeks pregnant that nearly killed me and my sewing machine hasn't fared much better. Take-out pizza, Thai food or soup from a can are the norm for dinner these days.
I work, I nap, I occasionally get the dogs and myself out for a walk but mostly I have morning sickness, total exhaustion, heartburn, general abdominal pains, even bloody noses. I've had every symptom listed in my pregnancy books. Maybe I should stop reading those books. Might be the power of suggestion. I think I might be the most miserable pregnant person ever. At 8 weeks I was telling Ben "never again". Which I guess is a good thing since we decided a long time ago that one kid was it for us anyway. But that's the simple truth. Never again. I enjoy being able to bend over, sleep on my belly, run 5 miles, eat soft cheeses, have a glass of wine with dinner and drink multiple cups of coffee a day.
Every time a mom tells me how much she loved being pregnant I want to punch her. Maybe she really did love it, I'm sure there are moms who do have nice easy pregnancies, or masochistic moms who enjoy the misery, or maybe, like they say, she's just forgotten how miserable she was. The moms all tell me that too, that I won't remember. I won't remember the pain of childbirth (we're going the natural route) because of the adrenaline and euphoria that comes after. I don't believe them.
I know I will love my baby, when I hear that heartbeat in the doctors office I cry with joy every time. I know when I finally meet our little girl or boy I'll remember the misery of pregnancy and the pain of childbirth and it will all have been worth it. But that doesn't change the fact: Never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment